Sunday 15 March 2015

FRA Navigation Course, Kettlewell

Teaching navigation to fell runners is great because I get to spend time with others who love being in the hills. So when asked if I would instruct on the Fell Running Association navigation course at Kettlewell it was a no-brainer! This is my second time instructing on the FRA nav course (Elterwater last year) but first time at Kettlewell. It was great to have Tim along as one of the other instructors too. On Saturday there's a short indoor session then it's out on the hill to practice practice practice....

walking on a bearing
superb views all weekend
handrailing a wall....and the snow line!

Then on Saturday afternoon it's a solo navigation course, with check points scattered around....



No photographs of the Saturday evening night navigation course...but I can tell you, from my point on the course (CP2) the stars and views were amazing. I even saw a shooting star and a few satellites orbiting above us.

Sunday morning came around all too quick and it was time for the 10km navigation course. 8 check points out on the hill to be found. I started in position at CP1 until all the runners had passed, then a short hop down the hill to my next station at CP8. I was slightly distracted on my way down as there was a guy out on the hill with a very bouncy spaniel....and then I noticed he was holding a bird of prey!! It turned out to be a Harris Hawk, which flew off then returned - amazing to see one so close (I could have touched it!) and to see it flying too.

check point 1
view from just below check point 1
I was being watched over by two curlews and their beautiful calls
check point 8

Many thanks to Carl (weekend organiser), his band of instructors, and Margaret and Jenny for their warm hospitality and super organisation, and to the family who now run Kettlewell YHA.  If you are looking for somewhere to base yourself in that area I definitely recommend the now independent YHA - the owners did a grand job of looking after us, masses of food for our breakfasts, lunches and dinner on Saturday night and they're really helpful and attentive. Already looking forward to the next FRA course back up in Elterwater later this year. I hear it's about three-quarters booked so if you're thinking of booking be quick!

Myself and Tim are also available for one-to-one or small group navigation training in the Peak District, Snowdonia or the Lake District. As well as leading guided fell runs and taking runners out on race recces, we've both raced a mix of adventure races, mini-mountain marathons and orienteering events. Our nav courses are tailored to what you want and to compliment the level of knowledge and experience you come with.

No comments:

Post a Comment