Friday 31 October 2014

Bumbag review: OMM Ultra Waist Pouch 6L: UPDATE

Back in August 2013 I wrote a review of the OMM Ultra Waist Pouch 6L bumbag. Since then the bumbag has been my main pack for carrying stuff on the hill. I still love it. It's versatile, has enough room for most days out fell running (even in winter with extra kit), is still just as comfortable and I've learnt to live with the niggles. I've recommended it to loads of other people and loaned mine to others to try before they buy themselves. I know others have bought one on my recommendation.

But, I am wearing a vital component of my lovely yellow OMM bumbag out. I first noticed the issue about a few months ago. The stitching on the right hand strap is slowly coming away from the main part of the bag. Oh no! I have used it tentatively since, keeping a watchful eye on it whilst also having my sewing kit on standby. In the last few weeks however I'd refrained from using it and have reverted back to my Osprey 5.5ltr rucksack - I just can't have the strap fail on me, especially if I'm out leading a group or private client on the hill. I do wonder what has caused this issue - me adjusting the straps regularly perhaps? (they have a slight tendency to work lose as you run, but this would be the case for any strap that doesn't have a locking system). But then surely adjusting a strap is something that is going to happen all the time, so it should be robust enough to cope. Could it be I have a bag with faulty stitching?

Sewing seems like the only option...I've had it too long to return it to where I bought it from, and no doubt OMM won't deal direct just like most manufacturers. So, I reckon it's a hand stitching repair that's needed as my little domestic sewing machine wouldn't cope with going through the fabric of the strap plus the material of the bag. I'm a reluctant-not-very-good-sewer, so the needle and thread have sat to one side waiting patiently. It's either that or I'll have to pay someone to spend about two minutes stitching it for me on a commercial grade machine. Any local offers?

All those lovely positive things I said about the bag last year still stand. It will get repaired one way or another, and soon; I miss using it.


4 comments:

  1. Hi Lynne,
    I had the same prob with mine and sent it back to Pete Bland who swapped it for a new one. I've had no problems with it since.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul, I actually think it is out of warranty as I've had it over a year. It will take some thought to remember where I bought it from as well! Let's see what OMM say - customer service are meant to be getting in touch so fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. If you have sewing machine, you might be surprised at what it can cope with. I've made repairs to several rucksacks over time, with just a domestic sewing machine - just go slowly and use a sharp needle. It might not look as good as brand new, but its almost certainly stronger than hand stitching it, as its so difficult to keep the tension with a hand needle whilst going through the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hollie, I am waiting to hear back from OMM - I'm assured their customer service department are going to get in touch so I'll see what they say.

      Delete