Monday 8 July 2013

Refreshing Refresher

My other half was meeting friends to go climbing at the weekend so I grabbed the map and looked at where I could run from the crag, which turned out to be Yarncliff Quarry, Grindleford. I didn't really want to be bothered with route finding too much, just wanted to concentrate on a long steady run of 2-2.5hrs. It's been ages since I've been to Stanage or Burbage, so they were my targets. The route planned was across Padley Gorge to Surprise View, then whichever path took my fancy over to Stanage, returning back via Burbage and down Padley Gorge.

Higger Tor from near Millstone Edge
I figured with the smallest loop I'd be doing about 12km, or if I ventured as far west as High Neb I'd be looking at 19-20km. Having an out and back segment turned out to be good, because while the day was gloriously sunny it was energy and hydration sapping in the shadeless 25+degrees path across the top of Stanage. I was trying out a different bumbag (the INOV8 race elite 3) which has a bottle rather than my preferred option for long runs - my osprey 5.5 rucksack plus 3ltr bladder. In the heat I really didn't fancy wearing a rucksack, and I knew there'd be an ice cream van for refreshments at Stanage and/or Burbage to top up on fluids.


Looking down the valley
Carl Wark behind me in the distance
The route took me on a gradual uphill drag for the first 5km, until reaching the far side of Higger Tor. Running along the top of Stanage was delightful, I even managed to find a few puddles to soak my feet into and splash cool water on my legs, much to the bewilderment of passing walkers!
Stanage and plantation

Stanage plantation from near causeway
I ended up turning round on Stanage at the point where the Long Causeway cuts across. High Neb was visible, but meant some more ascent for maybe 1.5km, totalling an additional 3km. I just didn't want to risk running out of water in the heat.

High Neb in the distance
Only carrying 500ml of water would normally have been enough for a 2 hour run, but in the heat it wouldn't be. I consciously sipped rather than gulping each time I took a drink, but ensured I sipped regularly. By the time I reached Burbage I still had about 100ml of water left, just in case the ice cream van wasn't there....but it was. I figured with the water left, my route being downhill and following a river, I could enjoy having an iced lolly with my feet in the river. To my surprise they were only £1, so I bought two and wandered over to the stream. Feet nicely cooling off, I opened the first lolly but it was teeth-breakingly-rock-solid-ice. No way I could eat it reasonably quickly so I put both lollies in the water bottle and reckoned I'd be drinking slush before I reached Longshaw. Wow, it was delicious, if borderline-too-sweet. It was a neat trick though; next time I'll top up the bottle with water so the orange was more diluted.

Welcome coolness in Burbage Brook

Ice cream van behind me at Burbage North

Cottongrass in the Burbage Valley, Carl Wark in the centre horizon

Burbage Valley and the plantation which may not be there for too much longer
The run back down Padley Gorge was lovely, if a little crowded - to be expected with the beautiful weather and it being a weekend. It was a family paddling mecca! Entering the woods back to Yarncliff was very welcomed, and before I knew it I was back at the crag. 16km in 2:03:34 with 377m ascent. I coped really well in the heat on such little water; a good test to see how I'd react but with the safety of water/a river close by should I have needed it. Sometimes it's good to test your body and listen.


No comments:

Post a Comment