Thursday 30 May 2013

Dove Stone Diamond 10k

The Dove Stone Diamond is marketed by Kiwi Classic Events as "a scenic and undulating 10K multi terrain route with approx 500ft of climbing" and it didn't disappoint. I did a recce the route about a month ago after learning that I prefer to know what's coming up in a race. I'd got the route in my head. I know the scenery is lovely. Even the rain didn't spoil that. It did however mean that the parch dry mud patches I had previously experienced were now 6 inch deep shoe sucking mud puddles. Shoe choice was a dilemma for some. I opted for my kanadias knowing I'd enjoy the additional comfort once on the road and trail around the reservoir.

So I was expecting a big turn out, mud, rain, wind, a tough first climb, relative enjoyment on the way through the forest and across to the tarmac, then sticking it out on the flat section hoping to pick up some speed. There was some jostling as we set off - the path gradually narrows and with a field of 200? or so there inevitably was going to be some elbow jabbing and shin kicking. Nothing unfriendly I should add, all within the spirit of a race.

The first climb came, I settled into a pace I could sustain and didn't seem to be holding too many people up. I was overtaken by a few, and on the rocky section even overtook a few myself. A bit of leapfrogging took place too, and a lot of huffing and puffing. My exerted breathing was in perfect time with another runner for a few minutes, small things you notice and smile at in a race! At the sharp left turn I felt pleased with my pace and started to attempt to recover my breathing as the climb levelled and undulated through the forest.

But, it wasn't to be. Instead I got stitch. Not horrendously bad to cause me to stop running entirely, but enough to slow me to a demoralising walking pace several times. I then discovered I'd pressed start then stop on my watch so had no idea how far or long I'd been going. Bugger. Bugger. Bugger. I quickly restarted the watch and handily came upon a 2km sign. At least I knew how much distance to add, but my target was hopefully going to be a sub-1 hour and I had to guess how long I'd been going. I reckoned 12 minutes.

Across the path the runners snaked out, I was passed by Nev, John (well done on dancing round in road shoes) and Neil along here. Each offering words of encouragement. Thanks guys. If only you'd had a magic wand to remove the pain in my chest/lungs - I couldn't work out exactly where the pain was coming from but something inside hurt.

I walked the climb up from the river to the road, marshals offering further words of encouragement - thanks for standing in the rain for us. Trying to calculate time/distance etc I opened up my stride as much as possible on the downhill, hugging the small grass verge rather than running on the gravel and tarmac. Words were exchanged with another runner about the difference in weather from last year - apparently it was sunny. We leapfrogged a bit, but she won out in the end. I just couldn't pick up speed even on the flat around the reservoir. There was also a punishing headwind as we ran towards the far end of the reservoir - cruelty for my lungs.

Turning at the far end I'm hopeful of coming in under an hour. The pain is bearable and I continue to ignore it. Only dropping down the steep grassy dam wall did I begin to feel OK. Typical. Just 1km left and I finally feel like I've warmed up my lungs and got myself going. I push on, tentative and careful steps over the slippy wooden bridges and the cattle grid. Into the darkness of the last gluppy muddy section. Not a care in the world I splash through the ankle deep mud. The drier section to the right was equally as dangerous with tree roots sticking out and now barely visible in the fading light.

The clock came into view, weirdly positioned about 50m from the actual finish line - I read it as 59:?? and with the massive cheers of the waiting Glossopdale gang I pushed to the finish funnel. I'm pretty sure I got a sub-1 hour finish. My fellow runners tell me the clock was actually 58:?? as I passed it. Official results are yet to be issued but my position was 156th.

Glossopdale Harriers bagged three prizes - congratulations to Caity for first lady in a most impressive sub45mins (to be confirmed - is it a course record?), Nev for first V65 and Vaughan in first V60. Well done to Becky for running her first trail race - brilliant running, and Rachel for the fastest sprint finish of everyone. Good running by all of us on an excellent course. Next time I hope there's no stitch to contend with.

There may be some photos to follow....and I'll update with official results once they're published.

PS> official results are out....my time is 00:58:56.220 Lynne Taylor F35 Glossopdale Harriers




1 comment:

  1. Great blog Lynne. I too did a lot of dancing in road shoes, in fact, in some parts of the race it didn't matter what I had on my feet, I was on my backside!! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete