Thursday 6 December 2012

Walking Group Leader

I signed up for the Walking Group Leaders Award in July 2011 and have steadily been gaining 'quality hill days' since. I've lived and walked around the Peak District for many years and know what a joy it is to get out and see nature close up. What I've discovered though, is that I don't know anywhere near as much as I should do to pass the WGL assessment, so I've started actively learning about flora and fauna, geology, weather and general hill skills.

I'm not entirely sure where the qualification will take me yet, that is aside from self development, gaining knowledge, confidence in the hills, and of course the obvious one of being able to lead groups (but the type of groups/activities is incredibly vast). Give my lengthy relationship with the local area I'm actually embarrassed by my lack of in depth knowledge of my surroundings. Having given this some thought, it's spurred me on to learn more and lay down some thoughts about what I might do once qualified. More about that another time.

I have no-one really to blame for my knowledge gap. But I do feel that something was lacking or could have been done better to inspire me in this direction when I used to nip up Win Hill or Lose Hill in the Hope Valley after school. Why did no-one tell me there were Pixie Cups tucked in between rocks, or that you can use the wind direction and sun to aid navigation?

So it is with some excitement that I have begun my education and fact finding, rather than letting things just wash over me or appear, then disappear once passed. I have lots of friends around me to inspire this journey which is great. I will be tapping them for hill days and photography sessions of the myriad of lichens and mosses and everything else. I have a renewed vigour for spring - and this winter will see me with my head stuck in books (as well as on the hill) seeking out what delights are going to sprout on the local fells come the warmer weather.


Here's my first challenge - identifying this fungi. Found this little fella lurking in some moss (another one to correctly identify - sphagnum moss?) on the south facing slope under James Thorn the other day.

4 comments:

  1. That's a lovely blog Lynne. And an inspiring one. I had a similar experience when I went on the Summer ML training earlier this year. I spend so much more time looking at what is beneath my feet now, and it's a joy to do so. Have lots of fun....and "Devils Matchstick" is all I have to say to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard...yes, Devils Matchstick, also known as British Soldier, is another I have discovered. tend to grow close to the Pixie cups.

      Delete
    2. Lynne, I share your thoughts. Once I just knew there were rocks, plants, birds and animals! Now I love identifying them and discovering new things.
      Agree with Richard too, one of my favourites.

      Delete
    3. Cheers Dave, those little matchsticks are so visible once you know where to look!!

      Delete