Saturday 2 June 2012

RockTape in action

I've been having mild knee twinges on and off for a few weeks now (attributed to poor muscle activation in my glutes and further aggravated by a very mild ankle sprain a week ago), so before my long run last Sunday I got Tim to apply some RockTape - he's been trained and is a Certified RocDoc, so he knows what he's doing with this tape which we see on all the top level and international athletes. To prevent fatigue, and help the biomechanics of my left leg be more efficient, tape was applied from under my foot, twisting round my leg and ending on my glutes.  It was amazing, I really could feel my glutes activating when I walked, so knew it was going to help me stay on track during my planned run of about 25km.

This is about 4km into the run, under Crowden Tower on the southern edge of the Kinder Plateau

Kinderlow trig point

An impromptu ballet lesson!!!

Resting at Fairbrook Naze - northern edge of Kinder and about 12km, halfway
Finished! 24km in about 3hrs 50mins.

The tape around my foot was frequently dunked into rivers - either deliberately or otherwise - to cool me down. I then had a good 10 minutes sitting in a cool river at the end where all of my legs were submerged. The RockTape didn't come off at all - even under my foot where you would imagine it would rub up and roll with the friction inside my fell shoe. It definitely helped to keep my knee alignment at it's optimal and ensuring my glutes were activated properly. The RockTape really complimented the strengthening exercises I'm doing and the soft tissue therapy sessions, and certainly helped me achieve my longest ever run. I even felt good enough to run the final kilometre or so after my river recovery - on previous long runs once I've stopped that's in - no getting going again!

I left the tape on for three days in total, running with it still on (an easy 11km) the following Tuesday and with the exception of some of the tape rolling back around my foot it stayed stuck. I think most of the tape peeling on my foot was due to my carelessness putting on and taking off socks! So that's 24km and 11km fell runs, numerous dips into water on the first run, 4 showers and 3 nights - brilliant.

If you want to see how RockTape can benefit you in whatever sport you play then get in touch with me or Tim at Global Therapies.

No comments:

Post a Comment