Wednesday 1 February 2012

Robin Hood's Picking Rods

A leisurely stroll in the bitter cold air took us along the bridleway to Robin Hood's Picking Rods.

Coombes Edge - where I ran on the Peak O Trial fell race

Having read reports that the top of Hope Cross had been stolen I felt compelled to visit a local stone statue while it is still around. Thankfully the capstone for Hope Cross has now been found, and having now see the Picking Rods it would take very determined and resourceful thieves to steal these...


I've not done a lot of research into the history of this feature. What I have found out doesn't give me any conclusive evidence of why these stone pillars are here or who put them here. If anyone has details I'd be interested to know a bit more.

Some of the puddles had interesting patterns

Hare footprints?

facing East with Kinder rising above Hollingworth Clough

the green-ness of the grass amused me; given it was totally iced in next to this rock it looked very much alive

No comments:

Post a Comment