Sunday 8 January 2012

Intelligence

I aim in my training week to include 3 hard days, 2 recovery and 2 rest. It worked out that my 2 rest days this week were together, something most unusual. What I realised today was that I was missing doing some form of exercise. Tim went out for a run and I was itching to go out too. Instead I stayed in, rested and let my body recover from the week that has just been - 12km fell run on Monday (my longest run to date), strength and conditioning training Tuesday and Thursday, a 'recovery' run on Wednesday (more on that in a bit) and a short navigation walk plus 45 mins for recovery on the turbo on Friday. I knew I needed rest - without it muscle fibres continue to break down and eventually I'll get injured. Now that's something I don't want. And just because I feel like I can go out there and run doesn't mean I should, or that it will be good for me.

Wednesday's run was supposed to be an easy 6 or 7km road run, the focus on keeping an easy pace going for the duration and relaxing my breathing into a rhythm. Well that was the idea. The wind however had a different idea. Oh, and it was raining too. Not ideal conditions for a relaxed leg stretch and lung conditioning session. Part way along a back country lane the road levels out after an initial steep climb - I normally aim to run up that but on this occasion I walked the second half, keeping breathing steady. As the road levelled out the wind hit me with full force - you may have noticed it's been a tad blustery of late - even on the gently undulating road the strength of the wind was such that I was forced to walk at one point. My inhaler (for asthma) was no use, walking was the only option. I even contemplated turning round but determination drove me forwards, knowing wind would be behind me for the latter part of my run. Turned out the wind was blowing head on the whole way round - most odd since I did a circular route! Not to worry, I got round, but not in the relaxed level I'd hoped.

Grey skies
The coming week is returning to my usual routine of strength and conditioning on Monday and Thursday. I'm running Tuesday night with Glossopdale...my second head torch run and fingers crossed I'll have some company this time. Wednesday is a rest day, Friday will be recovery on the turbo and I'll do a longer run at the weekend - weather and taxi duties for the Trigger will dictate which day. The other weekend day wil be rest. I had contemplated doing Lambs Longer Leg this coming weekend but decided against it, it doesn't feel like I'm ready for the up-down-up-down-ness of the route and I want my races to be enjoyable not put me off so early in the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment