Wednesday 11 January 2012

Headtorch Happiness

My second ever night run took place last night. It started with a gentle warm up run to the leisure centre with Tim then waiting to see which of the Glossopdale Harriers were coming out on the hills. I knew Alison was joining me, and we were meeting Becky in Old Glossop just after 7pm. I'd arranged a C group since me keeping up with either A or B at night was never going to happen. I worked out well; commenting afterwards Alison and Becky both said they were unlikely to have run if I'd not done so - I'm therefore very pleased I made the effort.

Now comes the fun part...running with others and getting used to doing that with torchlight. Weirdly it was fine. That however is partially down to me taking a rather bright light which is designed for cycling. Holding that light in my hand and using a headtorch as well proved a good combination. I was still commenting about how much difference it made as I ran back through the park on the return leg. I think if I do more night runs I'll need a brighter headtorch - while the alpkit one is ok to walk with, in comparison to the cycling torch it was next to useless for running (at least for me!). There's no doubt it added illumination right in front of me, just not as much. Having a slight concern the batteries were going I have replaced them this morning and they appear to have been fine...the cycling light must just be very very bright!

Our route took us up from Old Glossop, along the stony track to Mossy Lea Farm, up the path towards Doctors Gate then veered left up to Spring Cabin and on above Shelf Benches. There was a short stretch where the A group caught and overtook us, so we were briefly running as 10 or so, but were soon back to just the 3 of us keeping a decent pace as the A group stretched out ahead. Poor Becky was running with blisters on her heels...very brave if you ask me, but admirably completed the run. If she's not mentioned it I would have never known. I was pleased I kept up with the others as we climbed up the grassy path. I ran further than I have ever done before switching to a walk. I know the route well so was mentally prepared for the underfoot conditions - this also helped.

We continued up a trod until we reached a small pond...we know we had done so, not because we could see it - the clag had descended upon us, but because we reached the fence, the stile and we know the path, the twists and turns, the marshy bits, the bit with the hole you have to avoid! There was a certain height we reached when we hit cloud base...and then torchlight started to reflect back, the drizzle was persistent and the wind picked up. It was fun!! Wild conditions make the run have more purpose, feel more of an endurance training session and I loved it. I was somewhat cautious of the downhill return leg, but no need. I told my brain to switch off and my legs (especially ankles) to relax. It worked. I kept up with Becky (Alison was long gone...but she kept waiting as you do on social runs) and I started to enjoy relaxing into the pace. Running back along the undulating fields and track I still felt strong and breathing was easy.

Having the others there meant I ran further than I would on a solo run, pushed my pace harder, and found the experience a whole lot more enjoyable. That voice in my head which tried to scare me on my first headtorch run didn't utter a single word all night. Even the wind noises couldn't tempt it to speak up. Brilliant. I'm really glad I insisted on going out last night. I would have run even if I'd been alone, it just wouldn't have been so enjoyable. Thanks girls!

So, there you have it. Running at night can be fun. I'm already thinking of routes to do next week. And that's one Glossopdale Harriers run for the year complete....23 to go! If you want to see the route here's my Garmin track.

No comments:

Post a Comment