Tuesday 6 September 2011

5km

Finally managed to run 5km without stopping. No walking breaks. Got lucky on road crossings so no pause for them either. Result.

It was a road run today. The weather was very blustery, wet underfoot and slight drizzle falling as I headed out at 7.20am. The few little hills I had on the run were all run up too - that's an improvement on the last time I ran the same hills when I needed to walk.

I held a steady pace so I could keep going without needing walk breaks. I don't know whether it's more a mental thing, or a physical one. I have thoughts for each side. Today was mental. Just keep going, steady steady. I can do it. I can do it. My legs felt strong but I've not had the same luck with my lungs lately so I promised myself a short walk break if I made it to 3km. That distance came and went. I carried on running. The 4km distance came and I felt like I wanted to stop but got determined to make it to 5. Then 5km came and I'm on a slight incline towards home....time to cool down so I walk a little, jog a little, walk the last 100m.

Excellent. I feel good for getting out early, running in the rain and getting to the 5km distance in 29 minutes.

As for the weather, it was windy. Woodhead road was closed this morning. That makes me feel even better about the run as my lungs were working well.

No comments:

Post a Comment