Sunday 17 July 2011

Rehab run #4

Long run today, focus on staying vaguely to 1 minute walk and 2.5 minutes running. Think it was more or less around those times, but most importantly I ran 6.75km in 44:54. Elevation gain was only 111m and HR max at 180bpm, averaging 158bpm. Average pace 6:27/km....not bad for a long run. Again, it felt like I could have gone further. I really pushed myself on the uphill slopes, though the initial one up Cliffe Road was always going to be walked up - it timed in to a natural walk section, just extended it a bit as I knew the road all the way up to where it turns left and down to Moorfields is a long uphill drag and I didn't want to lose my breath on the first bit.

By the time I'd got up Cliffe Road there was a steady downpour of fine rain coming down - the clag was down over the hills and I was getting quite wet. At the top of the incline it was pouring it down....and the wind had been head on all the way up the 2km drag. Hard going, but I was keeping to my rhythm of run/walk and enjoying the cooling effect of the rain. There was another runner behind me from just after the pub and it felt like they were chasing me down towards Moorfield...but even with my walk breaks they didn't catch me. Nice. With the wind behind me breathing became a little easier and I ran with a huge grin on my face and rain dripping off my nose and chin!

As I dropped down to the golf course I was calculating if going straight home would get me to 6.5km....it was doubtful so I mentally prepared for the Hathersage Drive/Leicester Drive loop as well.....and back home at 6.75km. Nice loop, will repeat this on my next long run at home which will be in a couple of weeks as I'll be in Wales next weekend.

No pain or niggles in the knee or ITB. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment