Monday 23 May 2011

Breezy....or was it a Gale?

According to the Beaufort Scale the wind today looked like a steady Strong Breeze (force 6), gusting to Gale (force 8). The range in mph for 6-8 is 22 to 40mph. Having been out on the hill near Keswick on Saturday with a local Mountain Leader, and having been given a lesson in how the wind feels at 20-25mph, I can safely say that today's wind was definitely gusting stronger. You can find the Met Office Beaufort Scale here (if you're interested)

So, having established it was a tad breezy, and very rainy this morning, I tried a few delaying tactics to avoid a run. But, as it says on my notice board (written by myself)..."Run or Get Fat...the Choice is Mine". And it is. I felt a little guilty for not doing a great deal of exercise since last Thursdays run (the 10km walk at the weekend doesn't really count). Luckily the torrential sheets of rain that had been lashing down this morning stopped. So the decision was fairly easy. On with the running gear, bumbag packed with essentials (map, thumb compass, phone, tiny water bottle, inhaler, energy gel, windproof top).  A quick 5 mins on the turbo got my legs warmed up and the circulation flowing then off out in to the Strong Breeze (evidenced by the overturned wheely bins).

From home I did a steady couple of kilometres heading up towards Mossy Lea Farm, right turn and up the track towards Shelf Benches. I was walking less than last time up here so felt good. Thing is, the wind was behind me so I knew however it felt on the way out it was going to be hell breathing on the way back. I'd already had a puff on the inhaler to relax my bronchioles a little, and knew it would be unlikely to help much once straight into the wind. I don't seem to be able to run with relaxed breathing...something I need to research as I don't tend to get affected by asthma at all until I run.

Anyway, about one kilometre on, keeping Shelf Brook to my right I locate Little Clough and turn uphill. After my very (painfully) slow ascent last week up to Kinder Downfall I've decided to stick some steep uphill ground in on every run. It has to get easier. With map and compass out I navigate to a fork in the clough on the left of Little Clough, look at my garmin...still not done 4km....so onwards and upwards until I hit that point. I was contemplating heading up to James Thorn, it looked ever so inviting, but knew I needed to keep something in my legs to get home. So at 4km and after gaining a little more height I turned downhill on a lovely sheep track, no sign of a path on the map, but happy to have it there. Keeping Shelf Benches to my right I pick up speed and lose height. The problem now is that the wind is directly in my face, eyes are streaming, and wind is being forced into my lungs. Great you'd think. But no, I found it difficult to breath out. For a short time I had my buff over my mouth but that just got too claustrophobic. Knowing I need to learn how to run in the wind I put the buff back on as a headband and just got on with it.

I passed two walkers with a speedy "hi" and onwards back towards the farm. 5.5km done at the turn for the farm and while I wanted to run further I know that I shouldn't be increasing my mileage more than 10% in a week. I had glanced right, up Lightside, wondering if I should do another bit of steep ground work but dismissed it...this time.  I reckoned another 2.5km and I'd be home. Easy down the track, over a couple of stiles/gates and a sharp left over the footbridge and heading South on the West side of Shire Hill. A killer of a last climb was walked, then a steady last kilometre home.  The wind was still dominating the run...this time from a near side on angle requiring my hand over my mouth just to enable me to breath out!!

Last push up to home on the road, with that stoic determination that I won't be seen walking so have to run commitment once out in the publics view. I did it. Soggy but comfortable feet, hot and thirsty.
Total distance 8.32km; overall time 01:07:31 with actual moving time 01:01:30. Stops were pretty much all just navigation checks or admiring the view. I'm pretty determined that I'll keep walking where I can't run. Elevation gained 280m.

I can see that Shelf Moor is going to be well explored come the end of summer. It's a delight having Bleaklow and Kinder on my doorstep and as I paused at the high point of today's run, I thought, wow, I live here. How amazing is this. 

Recovery from this run will be a short turbo session - steady and easy pace for 10 mins later on, then a sports massage to flush my legs of all the toxins, followed by a good stretch. Tomorrow is a Recovery Day - 45mins turbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment